Upton’s Jackfruit VEGAN Peanut Pad Thai
Upton's Jackfruit VEGAN Peanut Pad Thai!
Who’s ready to CRUSH this lean week?! Today’s recipe is super lean-licous, filling, vegan AND low carb! This dish FEELS like a whoopsie, but is actually LEAN!
One of the special ingredients in this recipe is jackfruit! Depending where you live, jackfruit can be hard to come by. The preferred jackfruit brand that I like to use is Upton’s jackfruit. It comes in a variety of flavours if you want to change things up and add a little extra flavour into the dish! In Canada, you can find jackfruit at Nature’s Emporium or Whole Foods. You can also buy in bulk on amazon.ca. Since jackfruit tends to be hard to find, purchasing in bulk can save you the hassle of having to search for it at your local grocery store, or having to go back and make multiple purchases.
What is Jackfruit?!
Jackfruit is a fruit that comes from South Asia. For those of you who have not tried it before - it is a taste hard to describe, but has a sweet meaty flavour. Some even say it tastes like pulled pork! Jackfruit contains tons of magnesium, vitamin B6 and antioxidants! Although it does not have a high protein content, because of its meaty taste and texture, it is a great meat alternative!
Since the protein content is not high in the jackfruit, you can easily add another source of protein to the dish! In this dish for instance, peanuts are high in protein, so by adding the peanut sauce into the recipe, we are adding a great source of protein to the dish! There are tons of other vegetarian or vegan proteins you can add to this dish, such as tofu, tempeh, or almonds.
Another special ingredient in this dish is konjac noodles. I have used these noodles previously in my Shrimp Teriyaki Stir fry recipe. What makes these noodles special is their carb content. Konjac noodles are made up of 97% water! The other 3% is made up of glucomannan, a fibre extracted from the root of a Konjac plant - therefore, these noodles have virtually no carbs AND are good for you!
Combine the jackfruit, konjac noodles, plus all the other healthy ingredients in this dish, such as Walden Farms calorie free maple syrup, what do we have?! A LOW CARB, VEGAN and LEAN-LICOUS dish that can be prepared and cooked in UNDER 20 MINUTES!
Here’s how to make it:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup shredded cabbage
¼ sliced red bell pepper
¼ coconut milk
¼ smooth, natural peanut butter
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
1-2 tsp sriracha
½ tsp sesame oil
1 pack konjac noodles
Heat 1 tbsp oil in large pan on medium heat.
Add shallots, garlic, and red bell pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes
Take jackfruit out of package, shred the pieces into smaller, even pieces
Add jackfruit to pan, cook for another 3-5 minutes
In separate bowl, add coconut milk, peanut butter, soy sauce, sriracha, lime juice and sesame oil, whisk until well combined.
In separate pan, heat 1 tbsp oil then add rinsed and drained Konjac noodles. Cook until heated, about 5 minutes.
Add sauce into jackfruit mix, heat and mix until well combined.
Add noodles to bowl, and top it off with jackfruit mix, Serve!
THERE YOU HAVE IT SQUADIES!!
For more LEANMAZING RECIPES & LEAN WORKOUTS, CLICK THE BUTTON BELOW AND LET’S GET YOU FEELING YOUR BEST FOR SUMMER!!