If you’ve been following LEANSQUAD for a while then you know I am all about making the most of every single bite of our food! At the end of the day, I truly believe if we love the healthy foods we eat, then it is easy to stay healthy and lean, forever!
I could not be MORE EXCITED to share with you one of my LEANEST TREATS & SECRET RECIPES!!
These sugar free, healthy (and lean) Peanut Butter Twix Bars!
They are the healthy and sweet snack (without all the sugar) that we’ve been DYING FOR during quarantine!!
So, if you’re like me, and have been finding healthy snacks hard to come by during quarantine, then this is the RECIPE FOR YOU!!!
I promise you this much, this recipe does NOT disappoint! From the layer of almond flour shortbread, to the peanut butter caramel middle and sugar free chocolate top this Twix bar recipe takes the cake (well, actually it takes the chocolate bar I guess??)
Oh, and did I mention that these are also Keto friendly, and Gluten Free!
So, without further ado, I hope you enjoy this recipe! All I ask is that you PLEASE TAG ME @LEANSQUAD if you make them because every time you share, you are inspiring your friends and family members to embrace healthy lean foods!!!
Firstly, this LEANIFIED Twix Bar recipe only uses 7 ingredients! It’s SUPER easy to make!
- Blanched almond flour
- Sugar Free Maple Syrup (I use Waldens Farms)
- Creamy peanut butter (I used natural crunchy peanut butter)
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
For the almond shortbread base:
- 1 ½ cups packed fine blanched almond flour
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (let it cool for a minute before adding)
- 2 tablespoons sugar free maple syrup (I used Waldens Farms) *you can use normal maple syrup but will significantly increase sugar content and calories*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
For the Caramel Peanut Butter Layer:
- ⅔ cup creamy peanut butter (I used a crunchy peanut butter out of personal preference)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
For the chocolate layer:
- ¾ cup sugar free chocolate chips (I used these) *again you can use normal chocolate chips but it will no longer be a sugar free, keto friendly twix bar*
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
Now that we’ve got the leangredients how do you actually make these healthy, sugar free twix bars?
Serving Size: 1 bar
Well, that’s easy!! You just follow these lean steps…
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then line an 8×8 inch square pan with parchment paper *make sure it’s 8×8 otherwise it may be too big*
- Next, you make your shortbread base by lean mixing the almond flour with coconut oil, sugar free maple syrup, vanilla and salt in a bowl. Mix it all together using a fork until it forms a nice crumb texture. Then press (also known as mushieee) this into an 8×8 inch square pan and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Towards the final few minutes, you want to start making the peanut butter caramel layer. Add the peanut butter, sugar free maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract and salt to a medium pot and place over medium-low heat for approximately 2 minutes. Make sure you stir frequently until caramel starts to ever so slightly bubble. Once it’s ready, pour over your slightly cooled almond shortbread crust.
- Afterwards, place the now shortbread topped with the caramel layer in fridge for roughly 30 to 60 minutes (you want the peanut butter layer to be completely hardened). P.S. if you’re in a lean hurry you can place it in the fridge to expedite the process!
- Once the caramel topping is nearly hardened it is time to move onto making the sugar free chocolate topping layer. There are TWO ways to do this, one with the microward and one using the stove top. My personal favourite is the stove top. You add the sugar free chocolate chips and coconut oil to a glass bowl. Next you get a saucepan or pot and fill with a small layer of water. Add the glass bowl to the sauce pan or pot on top of the water and turn heat on to medium-high. You stir the chocolate frequently until it is perfectly melted! *the other option is to add the sugar free chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwaveable safe dish and blast on high heat every 15 seconds until fully melted. Just be ware of BURNING your chocolate!
- Pour over the caramel layer and tilt your dish side-to-side to evenly distribute the melted sugar free lean chocolate. Place in fridge for at least 20 minutes until chocolate is completely hardened and bars are cooled.
- Now, it’s the final step! Remove bars from pan and cut entire pan of bars in half, then cut each half into 8! This will give you roughly 16 healthy, leanified sugar free twix bars!!
- Lastly, ENJOY YOUR LEAN TWIX BARS! The lean life is all about balance and this is just another example of how enjoyable eating healthy and lean can really be!