One Pot Chicken Curry Soup Recipe
Happy Wednesday Squadies! Today I am sharing a leanlicious recipe with you all! This soup is hearty and filled with yummy flavours that will keep you satiated and warm this fall. With simple ingredients and a SINGLE POT, you can have this tasty soup ready in no time! Today’s recipe is a ONE POT CHICKEN CURRY SOUP! It’s that time of year again! When the leaves begin to fall and the temperatures begin to drop, having a warm, hearty soup to go along with these changes becomes a MUST! This chicken curry soup recipe is filled with tasty flavours along with healthy sources of fat, protein, and carbs.
LeangredientsWhat makes a soup lean?! The ingredients of course! This chicken curry soup contains a few key ingredients, first we have chicken breast. Chicken breast is a great lean meat option and contains very little fat compared to many other meat options. Although it can easily become dry when baked or pan-fried, you won’t have this problem with this recipe! The chicken is slowly cooked in with the soup, so instead of drying out, it absorbs all of the flaours and liquids within the soup! The next lean-ingredient is quinoa! Quinoa is a leanmazing plant-based source of protein. It is great for digestion and has anti-inflammatory properties. If you want to make this soup meat-free, you can easily take out the chicken and add some extra quinoa. This will give you that extra protein without a meat source! Sweet potatoes are one of my favourite lean carbs! They are very nutritious, promote gut health, and are high in fibre. Unlike many carbs added into soups such as rice or pasta, sweet potatoes are a COMPLEX CARB rather than a refined carb, such as rice or pasta. To thicken this chicken curry soup up and give it a nice creamy texture, I used coconut milk. Coconut milk is a great alternative to using cream. Coconut milk can help reduce fat while building muscle, it can improve digestion and contains electrolytes so can help reduce fatigue. All leamnazing reasons to use coconut milk! Lets get cooking! Heres how to make this tasty, one-pot chicken curry soup:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 medium purple onion, diced
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp Thai green curry paste
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha (or more)
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 6 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 15-oz. can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 stick of fresh lemongrass
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- fresh cilantro, to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add oil and garlic into the pot. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, and salt into the pot. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add curry paste, chili sauce, and sriracha, quinoa, 4 cups chicken broth, and coconut milk to the pot. Mix until combined.
- Add turmeric, ginger, salt, chicken breast, and lemongrass to the pot and mix well. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiled, cover the pot with a lid and reduce to low heat. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Stir halfway through.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred. Return to the pot along with 2 remaining cups of chicken broth and green peppers. Mix well, cover, and let simmer for 5-10 minutes
- Serve Chicken Curry Soup hot with line juice and cilantro!