Meal Prep for Beginners: Turkey Taco Bowls
Happy Thursday Squadies!
Today I have an exciting new recipe turkey for you all! We are turning our lean ground turkey into a LEAN TURKEY MEAL PREP! Do you like lean lunches & tacos?! Then you will definitely love this recipe!
With a prep time of only 10 minutes and a cook time of only 15 minutes, you can have this leanmazing meal prep ready to go in only 25 minutes! With the New Year around the corner, it is a great time to start getting into some new healthy habits. What better way to do this than with some healthy meal prep! This recipe is so quick and easy, it is perfect to ease yourself into the healthy habit of meal prepping.
Why meal prep anyway? Meal prepping is a great way to ensure that you are eating whole and healthy meals all week long. Instead of going out for lunch and being faced with a ton of unhealthy options, since you already have your lunch ready, you don’t have to think about it! You will also end up saving some money in the long run! For all you busy Squadies out there, meal prepping is a great way to save you some time! Rather than spending time making a lunch every night, take a quick 25 minutes out of your Sunday night and make lunch for the next 4 days. Getting started with this healthy habit now will help get you set up for a successful 2020. There are tons more tasty, healthy and nutritious meal recipes where this one came from on the #6weekchallenge, -- you will receive a ton of healthy & easy recipes you can use for meal prep!
For this meal prep, I chose simple and leanlicious ingredients. The star of this dish being ground turkey! I love using ground turkey in my taco bowls. Lean ground turkey has lower levels of cholesterol and fat than your average lean ground beef. Mixed with tomatoes, beans, corn and all our other taco toppings, the ground turkey becomes super moist and leanlicious! Peppers onions, tomatoes, beans and corn will give you those mexican flavours you want to find in the perfect taco bowl. Peppers and onions will add fibre, vitamins and minerals into the dish. Beans will add some healthy fats and proteins into your meal. If you want to add even more healthy fats into the dish, try throwing in some avocado slices! Instead of using regular rice, I used cauliflower rice. Cauli-rice is the perfect rice alternative! You can have the feel of eating rice without all the added carbs, making this dish low carb!
Heres how to make this leanlicious turkey meal prep bowl:
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 lb ground turkey (455g)
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (strained & drained)
- 1 can black beans (15oz)
- 1 can corn (12oz)
- 1 jar salsa (420ml)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Dash of salt & pepper
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 packs cauliflower rice or rice (cooked)
1) Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet over medium to high heat.
2) Slice the peppers, and red onion, and add to skillet. Stir occasionally, until they have softened nicely! Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper to season. Remove once done.
3) Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to skillet. Then add ground turkey and break apart to separate.
4) Add in taco seasoning, stirring frequently, until turkey has browned and cooked through.
5) Add a can of diced tomatoes (strained) and mix through. Bring to a gentle simmer and leave for about 5 minutes.
6) Meanwhile, in a separate pan, add last tablespoon of olive oil, and cook frozen cauliflower rice.
7) Similarly, cook black beans for 2-3 minutes after cauliflower rice is done.
8) Now, it’s time to make taco bowls. Add cooked cauliflower rice to base of 4 Tupperware containers. Top each with a scoop of cooked black beans, corn, salsa, cheddar cheese, cooked peppers and onions, and turkey taco mix.