LOW CARB SHEPHERD’S PIE RECIPE
Today I am sharing this leanlicious recipe with you all! This Lean Low-Carb Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie is the perfect healthy lean comfort food that will have you coming back for seconds and having your friends ask for the recipe!
When I think of traditional comfort food… Shepherd’s Pie comes to mind almost instantly! It was a family favourite when I was growing up and it always brings back great memories! It’s especially comforting on a cold fall or winter evening, when your body is craving warm foods. The only problem with the traditional way of making this dish is that it is a little heavy and I often find myself in a “food coma” after a generous serving. The other day, I decided to find a way to make Shepherd’s Pie in a lighter, leaner way. Instead of making it with mashed potatoes, I lightened up the recipe by using cauliflower mash.
This low carb Shepherd’s Pie is so hearty and filling you won’t even miss the potatoes. Seriously, my Grandad has been eating Shepherd’s Pie for 77 years and even he didn’t notice the difference!
Cauliflower is a great alternative as it gives the dish the same creamy texture while cutting back on carbs and calories. Cauliflower contains high levels of Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that helps strengthen your immune system (so you can stay on the LEAN TRAIN – Choo Choo!).
For this lean low carb recipe, you can use lean ground turkey, beef, or lamb as your protein source depending on your preference. High protein foods keep you feeling full for longer and increase your metabolic rate, which keeps the body burning! They are also rich in B vitamins which help your body metabolize food for energy.
This lean-cipe can be enjoyed ANYTIME and can be thrown in the fridge for some great lean prep. The best part is, you can cook your Lean Shepherd’s Pie in 35 minutes if you’re in a pinch.
Ready to get cooking?! Keep reading to see how we did it!
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef, turkey or lamb
- 1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cleaned and chopped
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup mozzarella (divided into two halves)
- 1 tsp salted butter
- ½ tsp Himalayan sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of parsley
LEANSTRUCTIONS1. Preheat oven to 410 degrees F.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables to the pan and cook until soft, about 2-3 minutes, then add the ground beef, turkey or lamb. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes, until browned, then add the salt, pepper, garlic powder and tomato paste. Cook for another minute until the seasoning has mixed thoroughly. Turn off heat and transfer the meat to a baking dish.
3. Place cauliflower in a large pot and boil until soft, about 6-7 minutes. Then add cauliflower, cream, butter, 1/2 cup of mozzarella, and salt & pepper to blender. Blend until smooth!
4. Spoon the mashed cauliflower over the meat mixture.
5. Sprinkle the other ½ cup of cheese over the cauliflower, then sprinkle with some parsley over the cheese. Place the baking dish into the oven on the highest rack and bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and has a nice golden colour.
6. Take out of the oven and enjoy!