This Valentines Day, share the chocolatey leanness with the people you love! This Keto Chocolate Molten Lava Cake recipe is the PERFECT dessert for your Valentine’s day celebrations! Whether you are looking for a dessert for your boyfriend, wife, or family and friends; they will definitely LOVE this healthy chocolate dessert!
This chocolate Valentine’s Day recipe is super simple to make, hase few ingredients and can be prepared, baked and ready to serve in under 40 minutes! Each step is super easy to follow! For those of you who don’t bake often, this recipe is a great one to try!
What makes this Cake Keto?!
How can you make a chocolate leanlicious dessert WITHOUT any carbs or sugar?! First off, I used sugar free chocolate chips. These chocolate chips are made with cocoa powder which is naturally sweet without the addition of any sugar! If you decide to go with a semi-sweet chocolate instead of 0 sugar chocolate, this cake will no longer be keto friendly! The other main aspect that makes these yummy chocolate molten lava cakes keto is the almond flour. Regular white flour is filled with processed carbs and is often the culprit (along with sugar) when you feel bloated, sluggish or have an upset stomach after dessert. Using almond flour instead of regular flour not only eliminates processed carbs, but also adds in a healthy dose of fats and proteins! Who would have thought you can have a chocolate Valentine’s Day dessert WITHOUT any carbs or sugar involved?!
What if I want more SWEETNESS?!
To add a bit more sweetness, I added a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of my chocolate molten lava cake! MOST ice creams are super high in sugar and fat, so I used one of my favourite low calorie ice creams, Halo Top! Although this ice cream DOES contain some sugar and carbs, it is WAY healthier for you than your typical ice cream. In a PINT of the Halo Top vanilla bean ice cream, there is only 280 calories! Each pint also contains 20g of protein! Keep in mind this is for the whole pint of ice cream! So depending on your scoop size, the calories per scoop will be A LOT lower! Also keep in mind that adding on this ice cream WILL add some carbs and sugar to the dish, making it NOT keto. Even with the addition of the ice cream, you are still getting a leanlicious, low carb chocolate lava cake!
I find this cake is sweet enough on its own, but you can also choose to add granulated erythritol into the mix to taste. You can use powdered erythritol or stevia on top. Both erythritol and stevia are 0 calorie sweeteners so they won’t add any additional carbs to the cake!
BEFORE YOU START…
I have a couple of key tips for you Squadies before you get baking!
- Make sure not to OVER MIX your batter! If you mix too much, your cakes may not rise properly when baking!
- While cakes are baking, keep a close eye on them! Since the bake time is so short, we don’t want to be leaving them in too long and over baking them. It is also important that they don’t UNDERCOOK. The texture needs to be crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside.
- This is a LAVA cake, meaning the typical toothpick or fork trick to check if the cake is ready will not work here. The cakes are supposed to be wet and gooey on the inside!
- Make sure to let the cakes REST for at least 15 minutes after baking. If you try to cut into it too early, it will fall apart and will not be at the proper consistency yet!
Check out the FULL recipe and ingredient list below:
- 8 oz zero-sugar chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup almond flour
- Preheat oven to 435F. Place 6 ramekins or small oven safe bowls on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a medium glass bowl, Place chocolate and coconut oil. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, turn off the heat and place the glass bowl with chocolate in it over the pot of water. Let melt, stirring quite often until fully melted. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until they are foamy.
- Add melted chocolate chips to the eggs and mix. Add almond flour and mix until combined.
- Spoon into the bowls and bake for 6 minutes.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes and serve!