Italian Turkey Stuffed Zucchini Boats!
Happy Sunday Squadies & happy long weekend to all the Canadian Squadies!
Today’s recipe is a leanlicious one! Just like all my recipes, it is easy to make, can be ready in a short time span, and is of course, LEAN and TASTY! Today, I will be showing you how to make these ITALIAN STUFFED TURKEY ZUCCHINI BOATS!
The star of this dish is MILD TURKEY SAUSAGES! What is the main difference between using turkey sausage opposed to using ground turkey?! The main difference between the two is that turkey sausages generally contain a higher fat content and depending what brand or flavours you get, come pre-seasoned! I chose to use mild turkey sausages out of the casings for extra flavour and juiciness in the finished turkey zucchini boats! If you prefer to use regular ground turkey you can go ahead and do so, keep in mind you may need to add some extra salt and other seasonings for your desired amount of flavour!
and its LOW CARB!
These Italian stuffed turkey zucchini boats are LOW-CARB and KETO FRIENDLY! Since we are not adding any kind of rice or other carb into the mix, this meal is carb free! With the combination of the turkey sausage, cheese and zucchini, you will have a meal that is high in fat, protein, and antioxidants! This is a perfect lean meal!
With a few simple ingredients and only about 40 minutes of your time, you can have these Italian stuffed turkey zucchini boats ready to go! The prep is super simple and will only take about 10 minutes with a cook time of 30-35 minutes. Each batch of this recipe is about 4 servings, so the whole family can enjoy the leanness! You can also choose to use this recipe as a lean meal prep option! These zucchini boats will stay fresh stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about 4 days!
These Italian turkey zucchini boats are super versatile. You can choose to add extra veggies into the mix if you like such as chopped up carrots, peppers or corn. You can also swap out the cheese if you prefer a different kind such as cheddar or monterey jack! Add chili flakes on top for an extra kick of spice to help fire up the matabolism!
Check out the FULL recipe below:
PREP TIME: 10 minute
COOKING TIME: 30-35 minutes
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound mild turkey sausage casings removed
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F then coat a large rectangular baking with with cooking spray.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then trim off the stem ends. Use a spoon to carefully scoop the flesh out of the zucchinis.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper over the zucchini shells. Arrange the zucchini in the baking dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the sausage (out of casing) and cook for 4-5 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spatula.
- Add the onion and cook for an additional 4 minutes or until onion is softened. Then, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Season the sausage and vegetable mixture with salt and pepper.
- Pour the marinara sauce into the pan and bring to a simmer; cook for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the meat mixture evenly into the zucchini shells, then top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.