I am VERY excited to announce our newest initiative: SUPER SQUADIE OF THE MONTH! Over the past year and a half, we have seen so many LEANMAZING transformations from SO many of our Squadies, that we decided we needed to highlight some of these successes! We have met and worked with tons of different people from all different walks of life and we are SO grateful for every single member of our community! We want to show off our LEAN-credible community and give you all a chance to get to know each other better!
By highlighting a Super Squadie each month, that Squadie will get the chance to share their stories and inspire others to reach their fitness and health goals! We are very lucky to have so many successful Squadies and want to give you all the recognition you deserve!
For our FIRST EVER Super Squadie of the month, we chose the Lean-mazing SAMMY CRANDELL! Sammy has been a loyal Squadie for just over a year now and I cannot express how proud I am of her transformation! She has been an inspiration to me since the start of her journey and has lost OVER 60 LBS since joining the squad! WOW! Her journey is SO inspiring and she continues to be such a positive influence for the entire LEANSQUAD Community!
We asked Sammy a few questions about her lean journey and heres what she had to say:
Q1-Q4: NAME, AGE, HOMETOWN, OCCUPATION
Name: Sammy Crandell
Hometown: Calgary AB,
Q5: WHEN DID YOU JOIN LEANSQUAD?
Q6: WHICH PHASE ARE YOUR CURRENTLY ON?
Q7: WHAT’S YOUR BIGGEST SUCCESS AS A PART OF THE LEANSQUAD?
I’m really proud of myself for my commitment to adapting a healthier lifestyle. Day to day, I choose healthy options while still maintaining a balance, developing a healthy relationship to food and exercise. I feel so much more knowledgeable about the choices and habits I make! I am in better shape than I when I played international rugby and, most importantly, feeling really good about myself!
Immune Boosting Chicken Soup!
Immune Boosting Chicken Soup is one of my favourite lean meals. It is so easy to whip up for lunches throughout the week & make in big batches to freeze to make meal prep simple during busier times.
My go-to-favourite refuel is the Sweet Potato Hash! Simple, but so satisfying after a workout! I like to prep all my vegetables and sweet potato earlier in the week to save me some time when I get home from the gym.
Q9: WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE WHOOPSIE?
Nachos, wine & peanut butter cups!
Q10: WHAT’S YOUR NUMBER 1 LEANSQUAD TIP TO SHARE?
To help me keep on track, I find a lot of value in prepping my meals for the week. Working in an elementary school, I am short on time throughout the week, so I always spend Sunday mornings prepping meals for the upcoming week. So many of Phil’s recipes are also freezable which has been a lifesaver as I approach the busy holiday season. I like to make stews, soups & chilli in a couple batches then divide and label portions into freezable containers.
Q11: WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO SOMEONE WHO IS ABOUT TO START THEIR LEAN JOURNEY?
Prepare yourself for some tough workouts!Some days will be challenging & initially the process can feel overwhelming – but you’ll start seeing results, and more importantly, FEELING so much healthier and stronger soon! Phil has created such a supportive and motivating community that on days I’m feeling off, I know where to look to seek out some much needed inspiration.
Q12: WHAT’S YOUR FAVOURITE LEAN RESTAURANT TO EAT OUT AT?
I love starting my mornings with a black coffee to keep me energized for HIITs and busy days in at school! I like trying new roasters, but some of my favourite stops are Kicking Horse in Invermere and Rosso Coffee Roasters in Calgary.
For something a bit fancier,there is a restaurant in Calgary called Ten Foot Henry that offers a changing fresh and seasonal menu with lots of vegetables and lean proteins! I like it because it’s sharing plates – sometimes restaurants give you too much food, so this type is a great way to take what you need without over eating!
SUPER SQUADIE RECIPES!
The LEANSQUAD is designed to be sustainable program that not only helps you get healthier, fitter, and leaner, but it ALSO teaches you how to live a healthier lifestyle. The recipes and meal plans are tailored to you, but they also give you the tools to be creative and cook healthy on your own!
Below are a couple recipes that Super Squadie Sammy Crandell created on her own! Give them a try!!
RECIPE #1 PUMPKIN PROTEIN MUFFINS
I’ve started to experiment by making pumpkin protein muffins for a post HIIT refuel! I have celiac, so tasty gluten-free baking is hard to come by, but these muffins aren’t dry and super easy to throw together. I like to make them in big batches & keep them in the freezer for days I am crunched for time and need to grab a refuel-to-go! Sometimes, instead of “icing”, I use a dollop of Greek yogurt too!
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup of almond butter
- 1 medium banana
- 1/4 cup of gluten free flour blend
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of collagen peptides (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp of maple syrup (if I have a really ripe banana, I typically only use 1 tbsp because it is already sweet enough!)
- 2 tbsp of coconut flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Greek yogurt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375’F & grease a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Mix all the ingredients together. You can use a food processor and blend until smooth but I like having lots of texture and chunks of banana in mine, so I hand mix all ingredients together.
- The batter is quite sticky to work with so I either refrigerate the batter for a few hours or transfer into a large Ziploc bag, cutting a small piece of the corner off. I “pipe” the batter into the pre-greased tins and pop them in the oven for about 25 minutes!
- The recipe makes about ten regular sized muffins. I eat two muffins with a spoonful of Greek yogurt on top for a refuel!
RECIPE #2: OVERNIGHT CHIA SEED PUDDING for the ease and simplicity as I run out the door. Sometimes I don’t get a chance to eat until I have a prep or during recess, so I have a few changes so that the pudding’s consistency stays the same throughout the morning!
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened nut milk (I use cashew milk for a milder taste!)
- 2 tbsp of chia seeds
- 1 scoop of protein powder of choice (I have tried both the vanilla and chocolate Vega protein powders in this recipe and they taste great)
- 2 tbsp of raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp of maple syrup or a drop of liquid Stevia sweetener
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend on high for about a minute – it seems excessive to blend the ingredients this long, but the mixture starts to thicken and take the form of mousse.
- Transfer the mixture into a mason jar and pop it into the fridge overnight to enjoy in the morning.
- Sometimes, I like to add different “toppings” to my mousse, including a sprinkle of blueberries, toasted coconut or chopped walnuts.
I’d like to give a big thank you to Sammy for answering all our questions for us! Keep up the good work Sammy and I am SO excited to continue this journey with you through phase 12!
Try out our lean plan for FREE with our LEAN KICKSTARTER! You will get a PDF that includes both a nutrition and workout plan with detailed information on how to get the most out of the kickstarter!