Healthy Turkey Chili!
Just in time for the holidays, I am coming at you with a warm, toasty and healthy turkey chili recipe! This recipe is quick and easy to make, the best part?! The WHOLE family is going to love it!
This recipe makes 6 servings, with a prep time of only 10 minutes and a cook time of 45 minutes! If you are looking for the perfect warm recipe to enjoy throughout the cold winter months - look no further! You can make this recipe to serve to the family OR you can use it as a great healthy meal prep! One batch and you can have lunch for the week! You can even choose to have some fresh and freeze the other half for a future quick dinner! Just take it out of the freezer, throw it in a pot and heat over medium heat until warm! Keep Stirring throughout for even heating.
Why turkey?! The main benefits of choosing lean ground turkey over lean ground beef is the amount of cholesterol and fat. Ground turkey has 4% less fat and around 75mg less cholesterol per 3.5 pounds of lean ground meat! I LOVE using turkey in my chilli! Combined with tomatoes, beans, herbs and spices, the turkey becomes moist and full of lean flavour!
The combination of all the herbs and spices in this chili recipe will give you that warm and flavourful holiday feel. The optional toppings allow everyone to customize their own dish the way they like it best! Adding some avocado chunks on top will give you a nice dose of healthy fats and add some great new texture to the dish. The addition of jalapenos is for all those spice lovers out there! Jalapenos combined with the cayenne pepper in the chilli will give you a warm heat! I LOVE adding spice to my food! Spicy foods helps give your metabolism a nice boost!
This turkey chilli recipe is definitely one of my winter favourites! Here’s how to make it:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes (diced)
- 1 ¼ cups poultry stock
- 2 (15oz) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash of salt & pepper to taste
- TOPPINGS (OPTIONAL): cheese, avocado, jalapeños, sour cream
1) Add the olive oil to a large pot on medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic and red pepper for 2-4 minutes. Stir frequently!
2) Sautéed, add in lean ground turkey meat. Break up ground turkey and cook until no longer pink.
3) Add in chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper and mix in.
4) Once mixed, add in tomatoes, poultry stock, corn and kidney beans. Bring everything to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes (or until turkey chili thickens). Taste and adjust seasoning if you want!
5) Garnish with your favourite healthy toppings!
All of my recipes, Lean Challenges, workouts and more are in the LEANSQUAD App! Don’t miss out and start your free Lean Trial today!