Happy Sunday Squadies!
Today I am bringing you another leansanly yummy recipe in partnership with the Turkey Farmers of Canada! With the winter weather upon us it is the perfect time to be making warm and cozy recipes such as this leanlicious turkey chili recipe!
With simple and wholesome ingredients plus a simple recipe, you can have this chili prepped and cooked in no time! Prepping this dish only requires about 10 minute of your time, then leave the pot to simmer and cook for about 30-40 minutes! This recipe serves up to 6 people, meaning it is perfect for the whole family! You can enjoy it together and store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. You can also choose to freeze it. This is a great option if you decide to double or triple the recipe for a quick future dinner! Just take it out of the freezer, put frozen chili into a pot, warm and serve! You can also use this recipe for meal prep! Since it makes 6 servings, you can have your lunch prepped for the whole week!
On the 6 Week Lean challenge, you will receive a ton of easy and leanlicous recipes such as this one, perfect for meal prep! Learn more about the 6 week lean challenge HERE !
This healthy turkey chilli is packed with protein. Lean ground turkey is an awesome source of protein and also contains other essential vitamins and minerals. The other main source of protein in this recipe are kidney beans, which also contain many other vitamins, minerals and fibre. This chili is not only packed with protein, but it also has a ton of great flavour! With many different seasonings and spices used, each bite packs a punch! I enjoy making my dishes spicy whenever I can. Spicy food helps speed up the metabolism and adds even more flavour to the chili. In this recipe, I used cayenne pepper. If you are like me and really enjoy spice, feel free to add another teaspoon to your chili!
Adding toppings to your chili allows you to personalize your bowl! I have listed some of my favourite toppings in the recipe, such as avocado, cheese and sour cream. You can choose to add some or all of these toppings if you like. You can also choose to add any additional toppings such as green onions or cilantro. If you are having this chili as your post workout refuel meal, toast up a piece of ezekiel bread to dip to add a carb!
Check out the full recipe below:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes (diced)
- 1 ¼ cups poultry stock
- 2 (15oz) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash of salt & pepper to taste
- TOPPINGS (OPTIONAL): cheese, avocado, jalapenos, sour cream
1) Add the olive oil to a large pot on medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic and red pepper for 2-4 minutes. Stir frequently!
2) Once sautéed, add in lean ground turkey meat. Break up ground turkey and cook until no longer pink.
3) Add in chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper and mix in.
4) Once mixed, add in tomatoes, poultry stock, corn and kidney beans. Bring everything to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes (or until turkey chili thickens). Taste and adjust seasoning if you want!
5) Garnish with your favourite healthy toppings!