HEALTHY MICROWAVE SWEET POTATO CHIPS | LEANSQUAD
Happy Monday Squadies!
Today’s recipe is for all those chip lovers out there! Are you craving something crispy, and salty with a touch of sweetness?! Do you LOVE your chips but don’t like all the preservatives and grease that come along with your average chip? Then you are going to LOVE today’s recipe: MICROWAVE SWEET POTATO CHIPS!
Why microwave sweet potato chips?! Well first of all, the are of course LEANLICIOUS! They are also super easy to prepare and make and will require only 15 - 20 minutes of your time in total! Prep only requires a few minutes to slice the potatoes and make the seasonings. Your chips will take no longer than 3 minutes in the microwave and voila! You got a tasty lean treat in under 20 minutes!
These chips are also healthier (and tastier) than your average store bought chips. Store bought chips tend to be packed with preservatives in order for them to be able to sit on your shelves for months and months without going bad! Since we are making these chips from scratch, there are of course, preservative free! These chips also contain LESS oil, since we are not frying the chips, we can get that same crispiness we know and love without having to fry them in tons of oil when using the microwave! These homemade sweet potato chips are also way lower on the GI index than your average chip!
Why sweet potatoes?! Sweet potatoes and high in fiber and are nutrient dense, containing lots of essential vitamins and minerals. Not to mention, they also are sweeter than a regular potato and have a slightly different texture making them perfect to add a dash of sweetness without any added sugar - also making them easy to crisp up faster!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ice water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Rinse sweet potatoes, make sure all dirt is removed since we are keeping the skins on
- Thinly slice the sweet potatoes using a knife or mandoline - between ⅛ - 1/16 inch thick.
- Immediately place in ice water, then remove and dry both sides well.
- Lay out chips on parchment paper in a single layer, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt
- Microwave on high for 1:30-2:30 minutes or until golden brown. Time varies depending on microwave.
- For flavours, add all ingredients to a bowl or bag, mix together, and sprinkle on finished chips. Serve!